Generic Structure of PFD
- To show that the evolution of every process follows a similar path.
- To provide a framework to generate alternative PFDs for a given process.
- Factors determining choice of alternative route
- Cost of raw materials
- Value of by-products
- Complexity of the synthesis
- Environmental impact of waste materials
// Feedstock/product interaction
// Hierarchy of Conceptual Process Design
- Decide whether the process will be batch or continuous.
- Identify the input-output structure of the process.
- Identify and define the recycle structure of the process.
- Identify and design the general structure of the separation system.
- Identify and design the heat-exchanger network or process energy recovery system.