After utilizing the experienced‐based principles (heuristics) to build a conceptual design, the following steps are taken to form the base‐case design and to evaluate the alternatives and optimize the process.
- Preliminary Base Case Process Flow Diagrams (PFD)
• Different alternatives are constructed with emphasis on reaction paths
and separation schemes and sequence.
• Mass and energy balances are conducted
- Advanced Stages of Process Flow diagrams
• Unit operation designs (distillation columns, reactors, etc.)
• Mass and heat integration (Pinch Analysis)
- Economical Analysis
- Process capital and operating costs
- Profitability Analysis
If the process is deemed economically feasible and profitable, the plant will be built.