- Systematic procedure in creation of a chemical process.
- The most important step in this procedure is the choice of the chemical synthesis or routes to produce the desired product.
Process Synthesis beings with
- Defining the problem statement
• Production of Vinyl Chloride which has multiple alternatives
(different routes of production)
- Gathering information
• Literature survey, Design reports, Encyclopedias, Handbooks and
reference books, etc
- Determining all viable routes to achieve the objective (producing a
Process Design (After Process Synthesis)
- A step‐by‐step procedure for forming preliminary database and
developing synthesis tree of potential flowsheets
- Identifying the base case with detailed process flow diagram (PFD),
material and energy balance and a list of the major equipment.